Post a question Back to Questions
Question by: Devendran B , Post Date: January 06, 2016

Caste coversion

Sharanu sharanaarthi,

I became lingayat by taking istalinga dheekshe in 2014. But my previous caste was SC. In all my records caste column was mentioned with SC category.

Now, after taking istalinga dheekshe I'm mentioning my caste as lingayat. Is there any legal issues?? Please guide me..
Total Responses: 2
Answer by: Shubha S, answered on: Oct 5, 2017

Sharanu sharanarthi. Legally in India, as per laws are concerned., Your caste is mentioned as that of your father. Ofcourse anybody can change his/her religious beliefs and follow any religion but law doesn't allow you to get new caste certificate. This was done to avoid people getting converted only for the sake of getting benefits under reservation.
Answer by: Shivshanker Cheral, answered on: Jan 11, 2016

No legal issues.

As constitution of India provides “Right of Freedom of Religion” as per Articles 25 & 28 of the Constitution of India.
"Every citizen of India is given the freedom to profess, practice and propagate his own religion."

Post Answer
To post answers you have to be member.
To become member click here!
Already have account Login here